By Sherrie Tucker
Read or Download Dance Floor Democracy: The Social Geography of Memory at the Hollywood Canteen PDF
Best dance books
The writer takes a brand new method of instructing notation via stream workouts, therefore enlarging the scope of the e-book to academics of stream and choreography in addition to the conventional dance notation scholars. up-to-date and enlarged to mirror the newest scholarship and during a sequence of routines, this publication courses scholars through:movement, stillness, timing, shaping, accents traveling course, flexion and extension rotations, revolutions and turns assisting stability relationships.
Kathak, the classical dance of North India, combines virtuosic footwork and miraculous spins with refined pantomime and gentle gestures. As an international perform and considered one of India's cultural markers, kathak dance is usually provided as inheritor to an historic Hindu devotional culture within which males known as Kathakas danced and advised tales in temples.
In Hoedowns, Reels, and Frolics, old-time musician and flatfoot dancer Philip Jamison trips into the prior and surveys the current to inform the tale in the back of the sq. dances, step dances, reels, and different kinds of dance practiced in southern Appalachia. These special folks dances, Jamison argues, will not be the unaltered jigs and reels introduced by way of early British settlers, yet hybrids that constructed over the years by means of adopting and incorporating parts from different renowned kinds.
On Repetition aims to unpack the various makes use of and services of repetition inside modern functionality, dance practices, craft and writing. the gathering, edited via Eirini Kartsaki, explores repetition relating to intimacy, laughter, expertise, familiarity and worry – offering a brand new vocabulary for knowing what's at stake in works that repeat.
- Bodily Expression in Electronic Music: Perspectives on Reclaiming Performativity (Routledge Research in Music)
- Before They Were Belly Dancers: European Accounts of Female Entertainers in Egypt, 1760–1870
- Salpuri-Chum, A Korean Dance for Expelling Evil Spirits: A Psychoanalytic Interpretation of its Artistic Characteristics
- Dan Ge Performance: Masks and Music in Contemporary Côte d'Ivoire (African Expressive Cultures)
- Antonio Triana and the Spanish Dance: A Personal Recollection (Choreography and Dance Studies Series)
- Feis Success 101: The Expert Guide to Hosting a Feis Without Losing Your Mind
Extra resources for Dance Floor Democracy: The Social Geography of Memory at the Hollywood Canteen
Dance Floor Democracy: The Social Geography of Memory at the Hollywood Canteen by Sherrie Tucker